Over the years I have been lucky enough to work on various large Enterprise System projects. My experiences have highlighted good Principles of Software Development and the benefit of Prototypes in guiding technical initiatives.
Looking back on past projects I’ve noticed how they all had similar goals, even if they didn’t acknowledge this explicitly.
This is what I believe are the 5 Goals of a Better System:
- Cut costs with automation of manual processes
- Provide a more efficient service by allowing customers to self serve
- Leverage knowledge in key systems by enabling data sharing
- Increase innovation opportunities by adopting open standards
- Improve the speed of change by improving internal delivery capability
A system that achieves any of these 5 Goals reduces wasted effort, improves profit and allows your business to adapt quickly to market opportunities. Such a system also means slick customer service, because you can automate what makes your customer happy, reduce mistakes and provide a consistent experience that gains trust.
If you’re planning a new system why not check it hits these 5 Goals? If not, why not? Could you tweak it’s design to meet more of them?